Sunday, February 18, 2024

Wi-Fi Chicken Feeder - Part 1

Suitable for use in the chook run where there is 240V power for the 12V power supply or powered from 12V SLA battery (also solar panel) for controlled feed sessions the yard or further out within wi-fi range.

The feeder is controlled with the Smart Life app in conjunction with Amazon Alexa. For example to remotely open the feeder 'Alexa... Open Chicken Feeder'. You can also press the button on the feeder itself to manually open and close.





Timber is very expensive so for the prototype I am using timber from the previous coop roost.




The main component is a Wi-Fi Water Valve from Ama




The valve is supplied with a bag of bits so it can be mounted on a water pipe. Leave all that in the box we are going to use a short piece of 42 x 18mm dressed pine.







Small bracket to mount on the right back corner.

















Selection of pan head screws - very handy.




















Looks like this.

Now we need to make a cover that moves in a 90° arc. Timber is expensive so I use fence palings wherever I can. On the left is a raw paling and the right is my dressed paling.
















I can do that because I have a planer/jointer. I select the best ones to run through the planer/jointer.

Palings are 100mm so ripped them in half.

















Thinking and fiddling a bit... this should work.


We need to ensure there is a gap between the sides and the cover so I'm using 3mm MDF scraps with mini clamps.

With that done we need to make a extender arm for the servo unit.

This extends the short servo motor arm.


















Oops... again I nearly forgot and the arm would of jammed the motor, needs to be cut out like that.


With the unit face down near the edge of the work bench and the cover frame propped up we can mount the servo unit.
















Mounting on the right back corner.

















That's a good start... back soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking for the Wi-Fi Chicken Doors?

Stay tuned... over the next few days I will be catch-up posting the Wi-Fi chicken Doors. Oh... and my Wi-Fi Bird Feeder. I'll be back...